Site where the ship is wrecked off Ruthland Island
The Sailing Vessel Andrew Nugent was a Brig built at Portaferry by Gelston and owned by Scott and Patrickson of Sligo.
In March 1828, She had left Sligo for London with a cargo of 992 casks of butter and 182 cases of general provisions.
She sought shelter in a storm but hit the blind rocks south of Calf Island in Arranmore Roads.
All aboard were lost. It would have had a crew of at least twelve
Pilot Tomas O’Donnell from Arranmore managed to anchor her, but she was driven onto Duck Island and eventually sank south west of Rutland Island.
The cargo of butter made its way into Dungloe Bay and landed on a rock, which has been locally known since as the Butter Rock, or Carraig an Ime.
The Rock can been seen clearly on the road to Burtonport sitting alone in the Bay.
SV Andrew Nugent
Lost 22 March 1828